Share

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My most memorable cultural performance

Hope to share my experiences in the Cultural Shows. The South East Asia Games Grand Finale, was my most memorable cultural performance. Various time I was able to used my experience & trainings in my youth, to possibly change the outcome and enhanced the entertainment values of the cultural shows.

Since 1987, I had participated in altogether 25 various large scale cultural performances, like the Singapore National Day Parades, the Chingay Parades, the South East Asia Game & the Youth Peace Cultural Festivals etc.

The whole groups of people from different age and backgrounds working together for peace always intrigued me.

The final rushing into the stadium to perform always set my adrenalin pumping. The spectacular firework always fascinated me.

I used to do lots of somersaults and tried various difficult gymnastics moves in my primary school days, and in my secondary school days I was a member of the school gym group.

These experiences in my younger days, let me able to numerous times contribute and advice some of the younger & less experience trainers.

In 1997 Chingay Parades, I was able to used my experiences to last minute, to redo almost all the props and to maximise the entertain value. http://chingayparade.blogspot.com/

In the 1993 SEA Games Grand Finale our team were to put up 10 (4 layers human towers) together with other types of human towers and other group gym display items.

For a person to sat and stood up carrying a person on your shoulders was no easy task.

So for the years of my experience joining all these mass display item. I would sometimes share my experiences with the less experience trainers.

The top layer- one person, 2nd top layer 3 persons, sit and stand up carrying one person, third layer 5 persons sit and carry altogether 4 persons up, the bottom layer 8 persons, need the safety officers support and to push the buttocks of the third layer up, as the bottom lays carry altogether 9 persons on their shoulders and hold them until the show end.

After pushing the button of the third layer up, the safety officers were to hold the kneel caps of the third layers and straighten it and not to let it bend and shake.

Our tower eight was the first to put up, subsequently it kept felling down even during the Preview. After some members of our group, had left to join other groups. It was very frustrating as the tower kept falling down.

In this type of human pyramid. It's very much depend on the weight of the persons on top of the shoulders of the persons who carry him on their shoulders. Training can only do that much.

Frequently in my childhood days during the school recess and after the school end, we used to played carrying each other on top of our shoulders and moved around with it.

Through my experience I found that the lighter the persons the more easily, I am able to move around. The experience and training in my childhood days set me in good stead later, in helping various cultural performances.

Numerous times I used my experiences to directly or indirectly assisted the various Cultural performance trainings.

Because the trainer is very young, and with little experience. He got difficulties understand the problems.

Through my experiences I share my ideas after our tower fell down on the Preview.

Finally the top trainer came down and made a few changes, and in the Grand Finale of the South East Asian Games, all the towers were put up successfully.


No comments: